Bison Fajitas and Mexican Bean Salad
A Mexican delight that is sure to please.
- 1½ pounds (685 grams) bison steak (skirt, flank or fajita style), cut into 1-inch strips
- 8 wooden skewers soaked in water for 30 minutes
Marinade for Bison Fajitas:
- ¼ cup (60 ml) tequila or fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) of chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- ½ tsp (2 ml) grated lime peel
- 1 tsp (5 ml) fresh limejuice
- ½ tsp (2 ml) of salt
- ½ tsp (2 ml) of red pepper flakes
- Item 2
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) ground black pepper
- Combine marinade ingredients.
- Place in re-sealing plastic bag.
- Add bison steak strips.
- Seal and rotate to season.
- Refrigerate and marinate 1 hour or overnight.
- Thread onto skewers.
- Grill or broil to desire degree.
- Serve with Mexicali and Jicama Salad.
Mexicali and Jicama Salad (4 servings) Dressing:
- 2/3-cup (150 ml) apple cider
- 1/3-cup (80 ml) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground black pepper
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground chili pepper
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dry mustard
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
- 10 drops red pepper sauce
- In a small bowl, combine dressing and ingredients, set aside.
- 1 can (15 ¼ ounce) pre-cooked pinto beans
- 1 can (15 ounce) pre-cooked black beans
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) finely chopped red onion
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) chopped jicama
- ½ cup (125 ml) chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup (125 ml) chopped yellow pepper
- 3 fresh Ortega chilies, roasted, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup (60 ml) chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ cup (125 ml) crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese
- Green leaf of lettuce
- Lime wedges
- In medium bowl, combine beans, onion, jicama, bell peppers, chilies, and cilantro.
- Add dressing and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours or overnight.
- Line 4 plates with lettuce. Using slotted spoon, serve salad onto lettuce.
- Sprinkle with cheese and garnish with lime.
- Place 2 skewers of cooked bison Fajitas on each salad and serve.