A hearty goulash from the Chef at Cafe' de Ville in Edmonton. 2002 Culinary Competition Participants
Yield: 4 lt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 lb. celery, diced small
- 1/4 lb. carrots, diced small
- 1/2 lb. onion, diced small
- 1 lb. potatoes, diced small
- 1 lb. ground bison
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 2 tsp. caraway seed - roasted and rough chopped
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 3 litres beef/game stock
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat olive oil, add in the celery, onion, carrot & caraway. Saute for 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
- Add in half of the ground bison crumbling it as you do it. Saute until the bison is cooked. Add the remaining bison. Saute until all of the bison is cooked.
- Add in the paprika and stir until it is well blended.
- Mix in the tomato paste and then the stock. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Add in potatoes and simmer until cooked (15-20 minutes). Season with salt & pepper.