Bison Barley Stew
Bring the taste of harvest to your table.
- 1 lb (450 g) cubed bison stew meat
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) flour
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (28 oz. /850 ml) crushed tomatoes
- 3 potatoes cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 carrots cut into 1 inch cubes
- ¼ cup (60 ml) barley
- Optional add ins:
- 1 turnip cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 green pepper cut into pieces
- 1 zucchini cut into 1 inch cubes
- Over medium high heat, sauté garlic and onion in olive oil until onion is clear.
- Sprinkle flour over bison meat and toss to coat.
- Add floured meat to onion and garlic and brown over medium heat.
- Transfer browned meat, onions, and garlic into a 6 quart pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 2 1/2 hours until meat is tender.
- Serve with homemade biscuits or corn bread. Serves 5-7