Bison with Broccoli Stir-Fry
A healthy, tasty stir-fry
- 1 lb (454 grams) bison steak (flank, round, sirloin), cut into 1/8 in. (3 mm.) slices
- 1 ½ cup (375 ml) broccoli stems, cut into 1/8" (3 mm.) slices
- 2 ½ cups (625 ml) broccoli florets
- ¼ lb (340 grams) fresh mushrooms, cut in 1/8" (3 mm.) slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tsp (15 ml) peanut oil
- 2-tsp (10 ml) cornstarch
- 1/3-cup (75 ml) water
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- ¾ tsp (4 ml) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) soy sauce
- Chinese noodles or rice
- Mix together soy sauce, vinegar and sugar.
- In another bowl, mix bouillon, water and corn starch.
- In heavy kitchen skillet, or wok: Add ½ tbsp (5 ml) peanut oil (medium-high heat), add garlic to heating oil.
- Add bison meat and stir-fry 2 minutes, or until medium brown, but pink in center. Remove meat and pan juices.
- Add 1 tsp (5 ml) peanut oil - when hot, add onion and broccoli stems. Stir-fry 2 minutes till crisp and tender.
- Add remaining oil around edge of skillet or wok, add broccoli florets, mushrooms and onions, stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Pour in meat pan juices and soy sauce, vinegar, sugar mixture. Stir and cover. Cook 2 minutes.
- Stir corn starch/bouillon mixture and pour into skillet or wok. Cook, stirring constantly 2-3 minutes until thickened.
- Service over Chinese noodles or rice.