Bison with Mushrooms/Jack Daniels Demi-Glaze
Mushrooms with a difference.
- 17 oz. (480g) Bison inside round
- 6 strips Smoky bacon
- 1 tsp. (5ml) Peppercorns, crushed
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) Fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) Fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) Fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) Shallots, chopped
- 1 clove Fresh garlic, minced
- 2 1/3 cup (550ml) Demi-glaze
- 2 oz. (60ml) Jack Daniels
- ¼ lb. (120 grams) Caramelized pearl onions
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/3 lb. (160 grams) Mushrooms - Shiitake, Oyster, Portabella, Brown.
- 1 Shallot, minced
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. (20 ml) Butter
- 2 tbsp.(30 ml) White wine
- ½ cup (125 ml)Demi-glaze
- Trim fat from inside round.
- Rub Bison with herbs and seasoning.
- Wrap meat with bacon and roast to desired doneness.
- To prepare mushroom ragout, sauté the shallots and garlic in butter.
- Add mushrooms and sauté further to reduce moisture.
- Add white wine and Demi-glaze. Simmer until mixture is consistency of a thick stew. Set aside for service.
- Sauté shallots and garlic.
- Deglaze with Jack Daniels.
- Reduce by half and add caramelized onions and Demi-glaze.
- Bring to boil and simmer sauce to reduce by 2/3. Check seasoning.
- Slice Bison and serve over mushroom ragout.
- Top with Jack Daniels demi-glaze.
- Note: To caramelize onions, sauté onions in hot pan with oil. Shake pan to aid in even browning.