Bison Pasta Pie
A lasagna style dish that's sure to please.
- 1 lb (450 g) ground bison
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 14 ½ oz. (350 ml) stewed tomatoes (un-drained)
- 1 15 oz (375 ml) can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml) thyme
- 1 tsp (5 ml) basil
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) pepper
- 1 15 oz (350 ml) can of corn (drained)
- 1 15 oz (350 ml) can of black beans or kidney beans
- 1 cup (250 ml) sliced black olives
- 1 cup (250 ml) chopped green pepper
- 1 lb (450 g) drained cooked spaghetti noodles
- 12 oz (300 ml) pkg. shredded cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, Monterey jack, hot pepper, whatever is your family's favourite)
- Brown Bison meat and onion in a large skillet* over medium heat.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, thyme, basil, cumin, and pepper. Simmer 15-20 minutes uncovered until it thickens slightly.
- Add drained corn, beans, olives, and green pepper. Simmer another 5 minutes.
- Lightly grease 2 10" pie plates and arrange 1/2 of spaghetti noodles in the bottom of each plate as a crust.
- Divide meat sauce into the 2 plates of "crust" and sprinkle 1/2 of the cheese over each.
- Bake at 375° (190°C) for 40 minutes.
- Cut and serve. Makes 2 - 10" pies.
*Make sure you use a large enough skillet for the sauce so you don't decorate your stove with it when mixing.