A recipe you will truly enjoy.
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) yellow onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) celery stalks, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) green pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) Cajun spice mix
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) milk
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh, soft breadcrumbs
- 11/2 lb (675 g) lean ground bison
- 2 eggs beaten
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Heat a large non-stick skillet to medium high.
- Add the onion, celery, peppers, garlic and Cajun spice. Sauté while stirring continuously for five to six minutes or until the onions turn transparent. Remove from the heat and reserve.
- In a large glass bowl, add all the remaining ingredients, mix thoroughly to incorporate.
- Mix in the onion pepper mixture then press into a well-greased 9 in. x 5in. x 3in. loaf pan.
- Refrigerate for up to eight hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C). Bake meat loaf for approximately one hour or until cooked through.
- Leftovers can be sliced, brushed with barbecue sauce and barbecued for 5 minutes