Double Bison Sirloin; Michael Jordan
Michael Jordan's Steakhouse NYC
- 20 oz. (570 grams) double cut bison strip steak
- 3 oz. (28 grams) sliced shallots
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 head roasted garlic
- 1 cup (250 ml) rich dark veal stock
- 2 oz. (60 ml) white truffle oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) whole butter
- Salt and coarsely ground pepper
- 4 medium sized Yukon potatoes (thinly sliced and roasted until tender)
- Season the bison generously with salt and black pepper.
- Grill the strip steak over very high heat for about 6-8 minutes on each side. (This is to get a very nice char on the bison.) When the strip has cooked, remove from the high heat and allow to cook for an additional 6-8 minutes over medium-low heat. Using a meat thermometer, probe the bison steak to find the internal temperature. The desired temperature is 115ºF (60ºC)
- Allow the bison steak to rest on a plate for 3-5 minutes before slicing. When rested, slice the bison into ¼- ½ inch (6 mm.- 12 mm.) slices.
- Put the roasted Yukon potatoes on the bottom of the ovenproof serving dish and place the sliced bison sirloin on top. Top bison with the fresh herbs and the sliced shallots and set aside.
- To Prepare Sauce: Bring dark veal stock to a boil in a small saucepot and mount it with 1 tablespoon of whole butter.
- Next, add the white truffle oil and pour this over the sliced bison strip steak.
- Place the sliced bison into a 450ºF (230ºC) oven for 3-5 minutes until warm.
- Place a slice of the bison and a few of the Yukon potatoes on a warm dinner plate.