Grilled Escalope of Bison Salad
Alberta Bison Association: A Taste of Alberta 1997
Quantity Ingredients Yield: 4 Portions
- 4x60 g slices 4 x 2 oz. Bison shoulder
- 8 Juniper berries
- 65 ml 3 oz. Red wine
- 5 ml 1 tsp. Black pepper
- 5 ml 1 tsp. Salt
- 5 ml 1 tsp. Rosemary
- 15 ml 1 tbsp. Onion, fine dice
- 1 Shallot, fine dice
- pinch Dried chili flakes
- 15 ml 1 tbsp. Sun-dried tomato
- 15 ml 1 tbsp. Fresh basil, chopped
- 5 ml 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 5 ml 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Juice of half lemon
- 5 ml 1 tsp. Thyme
- 15 ml 1 tbsp. Red wine vinegar
- 90 ml 1/3 cup Olive oil
- 1 Egg yolk
- 4 Cucumber strips, cut lengthwise
- 4 portions Exotic greens (baby greens
- Prepare marinade and put slices of Bison ( escalope ) in marinade for 24 hours.
- For dressing, combine all ingredients except egg yolk. Mix in blender until smooth.
- Place egg yolk in clean blender. Slowly add dressing mixture to egg yolk while mixing until emulsified.
- Remove escalopes from marinade. Pat dry and sear slices in a hot pan to med-rare.
- To plate salad, wrap each portion of greens with cucumber slice. Slice the Bison escalopes into 6 or so strips and arrange on either side of lettuce ring. Garnish with lemon zest and add vinaigrette dressing.