Alberta Bison Association: A Taste of Alberta 1997
Quantity Ingredients Yield: 4 Portions
- 50 g 1 2/3 lb. Bison, inside round
- 40 ml 4 tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 200 ml ¾ cup Red wine
- 15 ml 1 tbsp. Peppercorns, fresh ground
- 4 Juniper berries
- 5 ml 1 tsp. Thyme
- 5 ml 1 tsp. Oregano
- 5 ml 1 tsp. Sweet basil
- 1 med Onion, rough cut
- 30 ml 2 tbsp. Butter
- 25 ml 1/8 cup Flour
- 50 ml ¼ cup Cream
- 8 Mushrooms
- 12 Pearl onions
- 2 Carrots, large dice
- 1 Turnip, large dice
- 15 ml 1 tbsp. Liquid honey
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Marinate bison for 24 hours.
- Drain marinade and reserve.
- Pat bison and onions dry.
- Sauté meat and onions in a hot pan adding a bit at a time until meat is browned.
- Bring reserved marinade to a boil. Strain and add meat.
- Simmer and cook until meat is tender.
- Separate meat and onion form liquid.
- Thicken liquid with a roux made from the flour and butter.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Finish Pfeffer by adding hot cream. Adjust seasoning.
- Garnish with sautéed mushrooms, caramelized onions and oven roast vegetables.
Note: To caramelize onions, sauté onions in hot pan with oil. Shake pan to aid in even browning. For oven roasted vegetables, toss vegetables in oil. Place in hot oven and cook until tender. Season with salt, pepper and honey.