'Grinder' Meatball Sandwich
The term 'grinder' is used on the US East Coast and means meatball sandwich. Great with your favourite green salad or homemade french fries.
2002 Culinary Competition Participant
- 1 medium white onion, small dice
- 60 g butter
- 1.5 kg lean ground bison
- 120 g bread crumbs
- 3 large eggs
- 15 ml salt pinch each of black pepper and nutmeg
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 tbsp chili powder (ancho powder preferred)
- Saute onions in butter until golden and soft.
- Combine with all other ingredients, mix thoroughly.
- Portion meatballs using 2oz ice cream scoop.
- Braise meatballs in roasting pan with your favourite salsa until well done (170 degrees F internal temperature).
- Portion 3 meatballs per sandwich on fresh foccacia or french bread.
- Top with fresh salsa and apple wood smoked cheddar cheese. Makes approximately 10 sandwiches.