Bison and Saskatoon Berry Ragout with Herb Creme Fraiche
Serve this rich savory stew with a spoon of Herb Creme Fraiche on top, sure to impress your guests! 2002 Culinary Competition Participant
Bison & Saskatoon Berry Ragout
- 3/4 lbs boneless bison, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, cut into eighths
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup bison (or beef) stock
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 cup saskatoon berries
- In a small bowl, toss the bison well with the lemon juice, add the flour, and toss again until the bison is coated with the flour.
- In a heavy skillet, heat the butter over moderately high heat until the foam subsides. Add the bison and brown.
- Transfer the bison with a slotted spoon to a bowl, then cook the onion and the mushrooms in the same skillet over moderate heat, stirring.
- Add the wine, simmer the mixture for 1 minute, and stir in the stock, the paprika, berries, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer the mixture, stirring for 20 minutes, stir in the bison and the juices that have accumulated in the bowl, and cook the stew until the bison is completely tender. Serves 2
Herb Creme Fraiche Ingredients
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whipped cream
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped herbs
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
- You can use any type of fresh herbs as long as they are fresh.
- Let mixture sit for a least 2 hours at room temperature, then refrigerate.
- To serve, place a dollop on your stew for a great flavour addition.