Alberta Hay Braised Bison Short Rib, Pumpkin Rissitto
The rich flavour with a hint of sweetgrass enhances the tender short ribs to make this entree extra special.
2002 Culinary Competition Participant
Braised Bison Short Ribs Ingredients
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour for coating
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 4 pounds bison short ribs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup stewed tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 strands sweet grass
- 3 onions, chopped
- 6 carrots, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups beef stock
- In a bowl, combine the 1/2 cup flour, salt and ground black pepper, roll the ribs in the seasoned flour.
- In a large pot, heat the oil and brown the ribs well on all sides. Pour in 1 cup boiling stock, tomatoes, sweetgrass and garlic. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, adding more water if necessary.
- Place onions, and carrots in the pot. Continue to simmer for another 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until all vegetables are tender. Remove the meat when tender.
Pumpkin Risotto Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup sliced green onion
- 1 1/3 cups uncooked Aborio Rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 30 grams diced pumpkin flesh
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook green onions and diced pumpkin in butter briefly, then add the rice. Cook and stir for a few minutes to toast rice.
- Stir in chicken stock and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, remembering to stir on occasion, also you may need to add more stock if it becomes too dry. Cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- To serve this 4 ounce short rib, with 2 ounces of the pumpkin risotto, 3 asparagus tips - drizzle with sauce from the the braising process.