Ground bison naturally lean less fat.
Ground bison is naturally lean and contains less than 10% fat. In comparison, ground beef ranges from 10% fat for extra lean to 30% for regular ground beef. Ask your meat market for the lean content of their ground bison. This recipe is based on 92% lean ground bison.
- 1 lb Ground Bison 450 g
- 1 clove garlic 1
- 6 oz tomato paste 185 ml
- 1 tbsp basil 15 ml
- 1 1/2 tsp salt 7 ml
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced 450 g
- 3 cups cottage cheese 750 ml
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese 125 ml
- 2 tbsp parsley flakes 30 ml
- 2 beaten eggs 2
- 1/2 tsp pepper 2 ml
- 2 tsp salt 10 ml
- 1 box lasagna noodles 1 box
- To prepare bison filling, brown meat with garlic, basil and salt. Add tomato paste and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Slice mozzarella cheese.
- Prepare lasagna noodles as directed on package.
- Place 1/3 of meat sauce in bottom of 13" x 9" (325 mm x 225 mm) pan.
- Cover the meat sauce with a layer of 1/3 noodles.
- Cover the noodles with 1/3 of meat sauce.
- Place another layer of noodles.
- Combine the "Cheese Filling" ingredients (except mozzarella) and spread evenly.
- Place the final layer of noodles, followed by the final layer of meat sauce. Top with mozzarella.
- Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 30 minutes. Let stand for at least 10 minutes before cutting.