Bison Red Wine Roast
- 3-½ pound (1.600 kg) Bison roast
- 2-4 tbsp (30-60 ml) oil
- 1 cup (250 ml) diced onion
- 1 cup (250 ml)) diced carrots
- ½ cup (125 ml)) diced celery
- 1 large tomato
- 2 ½ cups (600 ml) beef broth
- 2 cups (470 ml) red wine (Bordeaux)
- 2 tsp (10 ml) flour
- ½ cup (120 mil) table cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Season roast with salt and pepper.
- In heavy casserole, quickly sear meat on all sides in hot oil. Remove from pot.
- Dice onions, carrots, celery and tomatoes and brown lightly.
- Add beef broth and red wine.
- Return roast to pot, cover, place on middle oven rack and cook at 275ºF (140ºC) for 3-3 ½ hours or until bison is tender.
- Turn roast every hour and remove.
- Cover for last ½ hour of cooking. Remove roast from pot.
- Puree vegetables in broth.
- Mix flour with table cream and slowly add to vegetable broth, stirring constantly.
- Bring to boil and cook until thickened.
- If desired, season with salt, pepper and red wine to taste.