Bison Stuffed Peppers
Moist, tender and full of flavour.
- 6 to 8 green peppers
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped onion
- 1 cup (250 ml) tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp. (2 ml) salt
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) butter or margarine
- 19 oz. (540 ml) canned tomatoes, chopped - plain or herb & spice or crushed
- 1 lb. (454 grams) ground bison
- 12 oz. (360 ml) kernel corn, frozen or canned
- 1/2 tsp. (2 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 4 oz. (120 grams) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup (125 ml) soft breadcrumbs
- Cut tops off green peppers, remove seeds and membranes. Sprinkle insides very lightly with salt.
- In skillet, sauté onion until almost soft.
- Add ground meat and stir-fry until meat looses its pink color.
- Add corn, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce and salt.
- Simmer until heated through about 5 minutes.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Stuff peppers; stand upright in a 9 (225mm) x 13 (325mm) inch-baking dish.
- Combine breadcrumbs and melted butter and sprinkle on the top of the filled peppers.
- Fill baking dish with canned tomatoes to 1/2 inch.
- Bake uncovered at 350° F (175°C). for 40 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve with rice. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- Note: For softer peppers precook in 2 quarts( 2.25 L) boiling salted water for not more than 4 minutes before stuffing.