Grilled Bison Skewers with Saskatoon Berry Glaze
From the Kitchen of ENJoy cooking with Phil www.enjoycooking.com
Serves: 4 appetizers
- 1 lb (450 g) bison cut into one-inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cracked pepper
- 1 cup (250 ml) saskatoon berries
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) sugar
- 1tsp (5 ml) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) red wine
- salt and fresh-ground pepper to taste
- In a glass bowl whisk together the oil, garlic, vinegar, peppercorns and herbs. Add the bison, stir to coat and marinate in the refrigerator over night.
- In a small sauce pan mix together the saskatoon berries, sugar, lemon juice and wine. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce becomes thick. Remove from heat and pour through a fine mesh strainer. Use the back of a tablespoon or small ladle to press through as much of the berry flesh as possible.
- Preheat the barbecue to 400 F (205 C). Thread the bison onto the skewers and season with salt and pepper. Grill on babecue to medium rare (or desired doneness) basting occasionally with remaining marinade.
- Drizzle berry sauce over top and serve.