Layered Alberta Bison Carpaccio
This refined recipe is not as complex as it seems and is well worth the effort. Serve with your favorite side dish.
2002 Culinary Competition Participant.
- 2.5 ounces bison chuck tender
- 2 spears braised endive
- 30 grams 3 year old aged cheddar
- 20 ml horseradish cream
- 10 ml tomato oil
- 20 grams vegetable antipaste
- sourdough crouton
- Bison Carpaccio
- Braised Endive
- separated endive leaves
- hot beef stock
- bouquet of thyme
- olive oil
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 2 chopped shallot
- 6 green olives
- 5 kalamata olives pitted
- 7 button mushrooms
- 1/2 diced red pepper
- 1/2 diced green pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 100 grams green beans
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 3 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 50 grams choped fresh herbs, your choice.
- Marinate bison with canola oil, fresh herbs, garlic, shallots and peppercorns for 3 day's covered in the fridge.
- Remove from marinade and coat evenly with pepperberry spice, coarse salt and cracked pepper.
- Sear in a hot pan evenly on all sides until blue rare.
- Remove and cool and wrap with saran wrap and freeze
- Sear off leaves in the oil, add remaining ingredients and check flavor and cool.
- Cook for 40 minutes on med-high heat, then cool, serve cold.