Urban Cowboy Bison Stew
Rustle up this delicious bison stew recipe for your guests and family and their sure to come back for seconds!
- 2 lbs boneless bison stewing meat
- 3 bottles Big Rock Traditional Ale or other dark beer
- 6 carrots, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 celery stalks, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 parsnips, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 onions, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 lb baby potatoes cut in half
- 2 L bison or beef stock
- 1/2 lb butter
- 1/2 lb flour
- 3 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- Marinate the stew meat with 1 tbsp of each of the herbs, 1 bottle of beer and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Leave in fridge overnight or at least 8 hours. Drain.
- Lightly flour the drained meat and sear in small batches in a heavy-bottomed saute pan.
- In a deep braising pan, saute the vegetables in the butter until soft.
- Add the flour to make a roux.
- Stir in the stock and 2 bottle beer.
- Add the seared meat. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally until the bison is tender, about 2 hours.
- Add the fresh herbs and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve with apricot - herb biscuits.