Big group tasty meal.
Makes 20 servings
- 5lb bison from inside/outside round or chuck 2.3kg
- 3 cups game or beef broth 750ml
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme 8ml
- 5 medium yellow flesh potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 2 medium leeks, white part only, sliced
- 3/4 tsp salt and pepper 4ml
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries 125ml
- 1/4 cup maple syrup 50ml
- 1/2 cup water 125ml
- 1/3 cup flour 75ml
- 3 tbsp Scotch (optional) 50ml
- Brown one inch (2.5 cm) cubed bison in skillet with 2 tbsp (30 ml) of Canola oil.
- Place bison in ovenware dish.
- Heat broth to boiling, add vegetables, seasonings, cranberries, maple syrup and Scotch.
- Pour over meat and stir to distribute ingredients. Cover and bake at 300°F (140°C) for 1.5 hours or until fork tender.
- When meat is tender, thicken hot stew with paste made from cold water and flour.